The Bluetooth Speaker

bkg

This is my very first DiY and of course my first post. Prime intention of this site is to motivate and educate those who are interested in electronics and mechanical builds. As i was moving to a new house it was indeed a good thought to have a speaker with me, so i thought why not build one?

  • MECHANICAL BUILD

 

First of all, i was concerned about the casing. I did a quick research and found that solid wood and plywood showed the best acoustic properties, hence i went with those for the mechanical build. I firstly drew an outline of the speaker with approximate dimensions on a paper and then transfered them to the half inch teak, which was laying around, which was going to be the front panel.The whole length of the speaker which was 50cm, was divided into half, and there after further divided to match the speakers and passive radiators

ggds

Teak is one of the best wood, known for the workability. I also found some round drill bits in the local hardware shop for around 250 rupees (4$). I've drilled 4 holes, each of 38mm, in those designated spaces in the wood,rounded of the edges with a sanding grip in a sander, and finished it with some couple of sandpapers varying from 60-280 grips. Though it was a real mess, it was worth it. At this point I also made sure that all those speakers and radiators fit nicely (for the radiators I've made two holes at the ends and used a chisel to chip of the rest).

IMG_20170616_115424
afd

After that was done, I gave the panel a couple of coats of teak finish which was also bought from the local store, the panel also recieved sand down after every coat with 280 grip paper. After the front panel was done, the sides, back, chambers, top and bottom pieces were also cut down to measurement with the help of a circular saw, but now the pieces were cut on 4 layered plywood. And that was the complete meachanical part.

IMG_20170615_083921
  • ELECTRONIC BUILD.

The electronic build was easy, literally 🙂 . It took me a full day to complete the circuitary. The list of components i used for the build are given : 

  • 2 speakers (Mid Ranger,4ohm,3w,40mm)                           200/-
  • 2 passive radiators 80mmx38mm                                          70/- 
  • 2 3w amplifiers (PAM8403)                                                      40/-
  • 1 bluetooth module with USB aux inputs                           210/-    
  • 2m strip wires                                                                            60/-
  • 1 47kohm potentiometer1 15w(5v,3a) boost converter   160/-
  • 1 battery protection and charging board (TP4056)             15/-  
  • 1m shrinking tubes`                                                                   7/-    

The circuitary was basic and was really easy with bit of soldering. As it was a budget build to lower the cost i scavenged 4 working lithium ion 18650 cells from an old laptop battery which i found at a nearby service shop. Also 2 speakers for the bass drivers were recovered from an old broken mini speaker. With those two successful recovery i cut down a cost of rupees 1800/- (25$). 

It was a tight fit inside the case, though it came out great at the end. There was plenty of heat shrinks used and I tried to keep it minimal. I also made groves in the partition plywood for the speaker wires to move freely. For the volume control i used a 47kohm potentiometer connected between the bluetooth and amplifier. For switch I went with toggle switch which was capable of driving huge currents upto 8ampere. For fixing the partition plywood I used Fevicol SR glue. Then I positioned the speakers and radiators and hot glued them in place, used thicker wires for the speakers connection as it drives in CURRENT! :).

With bit of math, I found out that, with a capacity of 2.2amp hour, 4 batteries would give a power output of 32.56Wh. With an average consumption of 7 watts,including conversion losses of 3%-4% the speaker would last about 4.5hrs theoretically, but I'm getting playbacks upto 10hours. And with a constant charging current of 1 ampere, it would take 9 hours for a complete charge. Usually I keep it charging while I'm asleep

Untitled-2
IMG_20170726_131641
IMG_20170625_085345
sg

Polished

After nailing in the font panel with sides, back, bottom and partition plywood it was time to screw in the top panel, I used small screws so as to make it accessible when needed. For the volume knob I again used a bigger drill bit to cut down a `circular piece, sanded and polished it to neccessary and glued it to the pot.
Before screwing in, I put some wood granules and sponge for better acoustics. Once everything was done I used a feet by half carbon vinyl paper for its aesthetics. Moulded and shaped the vinyl and heated it with a hair dryer and sticked it down to the case. And so, the project was done !!

d

Recovered Batteries

IMG_20170727_152604

Volume Knob

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *